Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Why Zion?

A couple of months ago we discussed Zion in Institute. We covered the who, what, when, where and why of Zion. Unfortunately, when we got to the 'why?', we read a verse in Psalms that said something to the effect of 'and I will establish Zion, for I desire it' (for the actual quote, it's Psalms 132:13-14)… and we left it at that. That was it. We must establish Zion 'cause God wants it.

Well, that obviously didn't do it for me. I let the teacher go on with the lesson without argument, but I continued to ponder the question. It's an interesting question… what is the purpose of the building of a city for some of the saints prior to 2nd Coming? Why is it necessary?


Let me branch off on a couple of tangets real quick to make my answer clearer. After the final judgment, Christ will dwell in the Celestial Kingdom, and will occasionally visit the terrestrial world. The telestial world he will not visit, because the inhabitants of that world cannot withstand His glory (glory, now that's an interesting topic).

Any time the Lord has come as a glorified being to the telestial world, there has necessarily been a transfiguration take place so that the person could withstand His glory. What does that mean? Transfiguration is the temporary glorification of a telestial body (and probably the local environment as well) to a terrestrial body.

What is the temple? The temple is a terrestrial haven in a telestial world. Thus Christ, as a glorified being can come and visit as He pleases, just like He will the Terrestrial Kingdom.

Does this make sense? I hope so, because it is critical to understanding what Zion is.

Zion, like the temple, is a terrestrial haven within the telestial world. It will have a higher law. It will be glorified above the rest of the world. And as a terrestrial city, Christ will be able to come and dwell within it as He pleases.

Do you see it? The telestial world will be destroyed at His coming. Why? Because telestial bodies cannot bear the glory of Christ's celestial glory. Who will be spared? The terrestrial inhabitants of the world. And this goes for the cities and places of the earth as well. Cities will be destroyed, mountains will form and deform. But Zion and her stakes will be spared. Why? Because it is already a terrestrial place. It can withstand His glory.

That is why it is critical that we build up Zion as soon as we can. Christ is waiting for us. He can't come to organize the church in preparation for His coming until He has a place to come to. He will hold His conference there, organize the gathering of Israel to the terrestrial havens of Zion and her stakes, then come in His glory.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Cool thoughts, Mark. Are these your own ideas or are they coming from documented sources? Also, we know that not all of the saints will be gathered to the physical Zion. So what does this mean for those not called to gather when Christ comes and the world is being destroyed? Are they going to be destroyed even though they are among the righteous? Will there be smaller "Zions" throughout the world? (I'd do homework on it, but if you already know, then I'll just let you tell me). :)

Mark Packard said...

They're just my own thoughts. Christ visiting the Terrestrial, but not Telestial Kingdom is doctrine. I believe that the temples having terrestrial glory is doctrine, but my source is second-hand.

As for the others not called to gather in the city of Zion, they will be gathered in the Stakes of Zion. These will be all throughout the world, and yes, they will be like mini-Zions.

Mark Packard said...

Also, let me note another thought I had on the subject.

There will be many terrestrial people that will not be gathered to Zion or her stakes (since it will only be church members that would head that call). I believe most of these people will be spared at the 2nd Coming, but they will suffer greatly as the telestial world they live in is destroyed all around them. Those in Zion will be spared much (but not all) of this.

Bonnie and Mark said...

I love the topic of Zion:-)...so I'm putting my 2 cents in. I think you're on target as to why the need to build zion...a place to which Christ can come in His glory. That is just exciting to me! I believe though that at least many of the good and honorable of the earth who are not members of the church will also gather to zion or her stakes...maybe not initially, but eventually...for as the scriptures state..."it shall come to pass among the wicked, that every man that will not take his sword against his neighbor must needs flee unto Zion for safety. And there shall be gathered unto it out of every nation under heaven; and it shall be the only people that shall not be at war with another. (D&C 45:68-69) They will seek it out of necessity as guided by the Spirit. And here's a reference regarding other places of refuge... "For it is ordained that in Zion, AND IN HER STAKES, AND IN JERUSALEM, THOSE PLACES WHICH I HAVE APPOINTED FOR REFUGE, shall be the places baptisms for your dead." (124:36)
Just prior to the Savior's 2nd Coming the righteous...the vast majority which will be living in Zion and her designated stakes, will be caught up to come with the Savior and the hosts of heaven to the world (1 Thess 4:16-17). And thus they will be saved from the great destruction below.
So...I think we should discuss what we ought to be doing to prepare to help establish Zion. The New Jerusalem can't be built before the Lord clears that area out. I suspect the time is not yet when they are fully ripened in iniquity...AND His covenant people are still working on becoming a Zion people who will prove capable of establishing a zion city.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your thoughts Mark! Thanks for sharing!