In the LDS church, extremism and fanatisism are condemned. It's not right for anyone to take their beliefs so intensely as to force it on anyone else in any way. It's funny, though, I see a lot of extremism in the church, even in my own family.
Here are a couple of examples:
A few weeks ago, my sister forwarded an email from a guy who wrote an email to ABC complaining about a supposed implied political agenda in one of their shows. He sent it to the wrong address, and found its way to the inbox of a strongly liberal employee. This employee responded to the accusational email with equal and surpassing emnity, implying that this man's beliefs were stupid and false. This, of course, further enraged the man, and he began this petition to boycott ABC.
Now, I see why the man is upset, but does he truly believe that the entire corporation of ABC ought to pay for this one employee's outburst (the employee was fired, and a letter of apology was issued)? What is this man trying to prove? He doesn't agree with the beliefs of the characters/writers of a show he watched. So try to put them out of business?
I got another email from a relative today that noted that post offices in Texas had to take down posters that said "In God We Trust". Outrage! So to combat this embarrasing attack on Christianity, we're to write "In God We Trust" on all our envelopes. Kinda silly. Any good supposed to come of that? "You don't believe what I believe? Well let me flood you with it 'til you're convinced I'm right!"
Here's a question for you… what would these outraged people think if their job put up posters with a slogan like "In Science We Trust"? Do you see the problem? You're offended when people take down something that is meaningful to you, and offended when they put something up that's meaningful to someone else that you don't agree with.
I don't really understand why we typically feel that everyone must believe as we do. Why does it offend us that someone has a differeing opinion, or someone thinks we're wrong? Why must we accuse, hate, or belittle others' opinions when they're not our own? Is it ego? Is it that overbearing temptation of pride that makes us always have to be right? Maybe you are right… does that make the next man any less entitled to his opinion?
I find it interesting that LDS people can't fathom that other LDS members can possibly be democrats. How, they ask, could you be in favor of such issues as abortion, homosexuality, etc? And here's the answer: they're not. They believe the same as we do. The question, though, is whether others that don't believe as we do should have to live our morals when they don't share them? And that is a tough question to answer.
I personally am conservative politically because I agree more with their economic and financial strategies. And I have a fairly strong opinion on a few issues such as gay marriage. But I can definately see the other side of many of the political arguments, and I can't diagree with their opinions, because they aren't necessarily wrong. They just happen to believe differently than me. And that's supposed to be okay.
6 comments:
interesting thoughts...I enjoy the reading, Mark!!!
Mark, Mark, Mark... let me esplain something to you. First, the ABC thing was not a call to boycott the company because of that one individual's actions. I specifically had noted it was "one more reason" to not watch. There are some corrupt companies that put their money and support behind evil agendas, and so we choose not to support those companies so that our money is not going to those agendas as well.
Second, you are incorrect if you are assuming that if someone put up a sign that said "In Science We Trust" we would be out in the political world fighting to have that sign taken down. Would I think they are ignorant and foolish for their point of view? Yes. But that's fine. The problem is when the other side tries to push THEIR beliefs of the rest of us (especially when they are in the extreme minority). That's when we have to push back or else they will always get their way and the rest of the people suffer because of it. A saying comes to mind... "In order for Satan to win, all he has to do is get good people to do nothing."
And third, when the prophet specifically acknowledges something as being wrong (i.e. abortion, homosexual marriages, etc.) and asks the saints to stand against it... I am not going to hesitate to say that the other sides opinion is "wrong" and not just "different". Some issues cannot be ignored. i.e. The terrorists that believe Americans are the most evil thing in the world and we should all die. Are you okay with that and willing to let them kill you over it? Why not? After all... it's their opinion.
But you're right... extremism in either direction is not good. I love ya, bro.
Just a quick edit to my second point... by "push their beliefs on the rest of us", I am referring to them going so far as to take away our rights to have a sign that reads "In God We Trust" or to speak of God in public, etc. I don't care if they put up signs and speak of their god (or lack of God), but they can't tell me that I can't do that. That's when we push back.
Amen Debbie!!!
True, Debbie. This of course doens't apply to just the LDS people, but the other side of the spectrum. Democrats are even more guilty of trying to push their opinions on others. Prominantly media outlets, some businesses, etc.
I believe it is NOT right to use your resources to try to push your opinions on others, even by subtle persuasion, like in the media. Why? 1) It's manipulation 2) It restricts open-mindedness, which slows progress 3) Because you think you're right doesn't make you right, even if you're sure of it. Unless you speak for the Lord, you are the blind leading the blind.
Teach and share your opinions with others. Let them decide what they believe. Then respect their conclusions. "And allow all men the same priviledge..."
Because they are doing it doesn't make it right. Fight back, but fight back the Lord's way, by sharing ideas and opinions, not pushing them (ie. putting posters up... it may be our nation's slogan, but the intent of it was kinda obvious). That's how the devil works.
Mark, I totally agree. Amen, Amen. Now, if you could just beat me in golf.
Post a Comment