Sunday, September 7, 2008

Created by God?

Here's a little ammo for you against your traditional Christian friends… a little evidence of why traditional nicean Christianity can't be true.

It is widely believed in the Christian world that God created each individual. Of course, this idea has all kinds of holes in it, the main one being that if God created who we are, then He is to blame for what we do. So, to try to mend these holes, Christian doctrines have made an emphasis on the gift of free-will. God created us, then gave us the ability to choose for ourselves, and do what we want. We are responsible for our choices, thus God's judgement and punishment is just.

Well, anyone who isn't so gullible as to accept this blindly at face value can easily see that this patch has just as many holes in it. If God created who we are, our personality, strengths, weaknesses, etc, and then gave us free-will to make our own choices, then God created how we would deal with this agency. What are our choices, if not a reaction between circumstance and who we are?

In other words, if we were creations of God, then whatever we do is directly and completely related to how God designed us and where He put us. Our choices are based on the personality, intelligence, etc. that He gave us. Therefore, all our decisions must be completely by God's design!

If that's the case, then there can be no sin. We could never do anything against God's will, for everything we would do would be by His design. Judgement could not be just, for why must we be punished for the weaknesses that God created in us? If we were supposed to be perfect, why didn't He create us that way? Why would He create some people that would fail and ultimately be damned, when He could have very well created that person to use his free-will appropriately?

Puppets… that's what we would be.

So, conclusively we must determine that God did not create us. Otherwise the logic folds on itself and implodes. Fortunately Joseph Smith revealed the concept of eternal intelligence. Who we are was not created, but we've always existed. What God created was a form for our intelligence, the abilty to begin use our intelligence. Makes a whole lot more sense that way.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow... holy cow. I had actually never thought of that concept before. I knew the doctrine that our intelligence always existed, but never thought beyond it to what that meant beyond I always existed. Thanks for the insight, Mark. :) Loves.

Dave and Loralee said...

so, since I don't get to go to Sunday School or Relief Society anymore (Primary calling), I'll just come here :) Thanks for all the insight! I never get to think this deeply anymore, so I'm glad you do the thinking for me and I can read it.