Wednesday, September 16, 2009

O Say What Is Truth?

I've thought about this question for a long time, especially in this last year, to little avail.

What is truth?

D&C 93 gives a lot of insight. Verse 24 gives us a basic definition of truth: And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come; It's a great definition, clear and simple, but doesn't really touch some of the deeper and more complete understandings of what it is.

After a discussion a year ago in institute class, it donned on me that truth is the spiritual equivalent of light in the temporal sphere. Light is our guidance, our revealer, the thing that shows us what is here, behind us, or ahead. It allows us to know what is around us so that we may choose which way to go or what to do. I discussed it here (http://mark-thinkdeep.blogspot.com/2008/10/light-and-truth.html).

But there was one verse that has always stuck in my side like a thorn. I just could not fully understand it. Same section, verse 30:

All truth is independent in that shpere in which God has placed it, to act for itself, as all intelligence also; otherwise there is no existence.

That is one of the most deep verses I'd ever read. I've read it over and over again, trying to understand it. I understand that truth is eternal, like intelligence. I can understand that all truth is placed in a sphere, which is where relative truth comes into play. Something is true under these circumstances. That is the sphere in which it is placed. Absolute truths are in an eternal sphere. I guess that makes sense.

"Independent." Okay, now you're confusing me. Does that mean that no other truth can infringe on a truth that is inside its own sphere? Or does it mean truth does not belong to God or anyone, and exists independently? Or does it mean that it actually has freedoms to choose?

And here's the really weird part: "...to act for itself". What?? Truth can act for itself? How can an absolute truth act? Does this mean it can change? Does it have agency?

Today in institute we discussed truth, and it left me to mull over these questions for a good long while. I even asked the teacher and the class what they thought. We didn't make any progress (in fact we may have made ourselves dumber from the discussion). But I continued to pour my mind on the question while the class moved on. And then it came to me. If it's true, I'll be happy to give credit where credit is due. It feels right to me. If it's not, well... we all know how odd my mind is.

Months ago I posted some thoughts on what love is (http://mark-thinkdeep.blogspot.com/2008/12/what-is-love.html). I believe it is a connection in some unseen network that our spirit creates with another intelligence, which allows free flowing spiritual communication. But with this verse pointing out the connection between truth and intelligence, I realized that the key word to understanding this verse was not truth, but knowledge (it's in verse 24 and 28, not 30, but it's the key).

What does it mean to know?

This is what I realized tonight. Knowledge of truth is the equivalent to love of another intelligence. When you learn something, there is a connection formed between your intelligence and a truth. That truth, and entity to itself, independent in its own sphere, can bind itself to us when our soul is in a state or lifestyle in which that truth will fit. That bond strengthens as we build our lifestyle around it.

So truth can act for itself, binding itself to whomever it can and will. Perhaps a truth heard my call tonight and bound itself to me. A teacher, then, would be a matchmaker of sorts, bringing together intelligence and truth. The Spirit, having access to all truths in all their spheres, would be the ultimate teacher.

Truth is the governing entity of the universe. It commands and gives direction to intelligence of all levels. It rules over its domain or sphere. It binds itself to intelligence as it may, to command within its sphere of authority, or to guide those outside of that sphere. It is eternal and unchanging, although not necessarily static.

It makes me wonder, then, if truth is intelligence in its ultimate and perfected state?

1 comment:

Brent said...

Very interesting. :) I like it.