I read a couple of interesting verses in my scripture study this morning that has changed my perspective on the eternal plan of salvation, specifically with respect to the sons of perdition. I'm in D&C 76, and the Lord's explaining who the sons of perdition are:
38. Yea, verily, the only ones who shall not be redeemed in the due time of the Lord, after the sufferings of his wrath.
39. For all the rest shall be brought forth by the resurrection of the dead, through the triumph and the glory of the Lamb...
Whoa, hold on. Okay, you can read this two ways. In verse 38, it indicates that they will not be redeemed by the Atonement, even after suffering hell fire. Verse 39, though, seems to indicate that they won't even be resurrected? That's one way to read it at least.
But the real kicker is this:
44. Wherefore, he saves all except them--they shall go away into everlasting punishment, which is endless punishment, which is eternal punishment, to reign with the devil and his angels in eternity, where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched, which is their torment--
45. And the end thereof, neither the place thereof, nor their torment, no man knows;
"No man knows"? Now this implies that there is an end to it eventually!
So with this knowledge, I have the following resulting questions:
If their torment ends, can they then become happy?
If their torment ends, can they progress?
Can Satan and his followers progress eventually?
Could they possiby change and get a second chance?
I haven't had much time to consider all the questions, nor formed an opinion on the answers to these questions yet. But it opens up a lot of possibilities of further understanding of the plan of salvation. Even those who rebel against God and become perdition are not necessarily lost forever in misery. I think the principle of change and progress is eternal for everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Explain why you think "no man knows" implies that it ends?
Also, they will resurrect, but with it will not be a resurrection of glory. They will have none.
Their worm dieth not. They suffer hellfire during the millenium with the telestial beings, and after the resurrection the telestial go to a degree of glory and the SoP go back to the hellfire. They stay there from then on. This is how I understand it.
You don't think "No man knoweth the end thereof" implies that there is and end thereof, it's just not revealed?
As for their resurrection, that's how I understand it as well, but the way it was phrased... just made me wonder.
And while they won't be given a degree of glory, I think they can eventually earn some glory. They just can never achieve a telestial level of glory. They will still have agency, and can therefore choose to change. But they will have no glory by the gift of Christ.
Post a Comment