Here are the lyrics:
Eternity is pressed against my eyelidsBy brittle fists that I cannot avoid
And though each finger's grip has been relentless
The moments they just keep on slipping by
And I am now aware that I
Am and always have been
At this moment I am sitting by the fire
In blue waiting for you
And though I've been expecting
I've never quite accepted
That the fire will suddenly go out
The hands will fall away
The paint will peel
The trees will sadly sway
'Cause I'm scared that there's no anwers
'Cause I'm scared that there is no truth
In this life of mine
There is only time
The illusion of which is gone
All my words are spread across the canvas
But noone seems to see the things I say
And though these eyes were once those of an artist
Failure has relieved me of a face
And I am now aware that I
Am only the brushstrokes
On the headstone of a man that never lived
And this, oh this is his
Life that I have failed
And I hope to be forgiven
When the fire will suddenly go out
The hands will fall away
The paint will peel
The trees will sadly sway
'Cause I'm scared that there's no answers
'Cause I'm scared that there is no truth
In this life of mine there is only time
The illusion of which is gone
So what is left?
Waiting to be
The man I painted myself to be
And just sadly sit
When your eyes are closed
And my hands have uselessly round my soul
We've got a lot to say
Oh we've got a lot to do
The boys are in the street
They just want to do what they want
And we don't care, oh we don't care anymore...
Gorgeous... both the painting and the song. So tragic, but very deep and meaningful. I've really come to appreciate art in all its forms much more in the last few of years. I no longer look at is as something pretty to look at, but it's something that inspires thoughts, feelings, emotions. We can feel how the artist may have felt, and the artist can connect with how we may be feeling. Pretty pictures can't do that...
2 comments:
Mark, Matt and I both took a moment to read/listen. Interesting. And we mean that in a deep-thought-provoking-good way.
The loss of hope is truly a sad thing. I like Van Gogh, his life was indeed a tragic one, reflected in his paintings. I think all of us can relate to his life from time to time. If only he had known what Nephi knew, which inspite of his own personal strugglings was able to pen, "...And when I desire to rejoice my heart groaneth because of my sins, NEVERTHELESS, I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions...He hath filled me with His love..." And then remembering the goodness of God in his life, he exclaims, "Why should I weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow because of mine afflictions...Why should I give way to temptations that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul?...Awake my soul! Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul." (Nephi's psalm...2Ne4)
Post a Comment